The Port of Oakland, officially named in 1927, was the first major port on the Pacific Coast to build terminals for container ships. By the late 1960’s, Oakland became the second largest port in the world behind New York. In 2002 a rail intermodal facility was completed, allowing capability to trans-load containers from vessels to trucks or rail. Today, Oakland is the fourth busiest container port in the United States behind Long Beach, Los Angeles, Newark and Savannah.
- 20 Deep water Ship Berths
- 10 Container Terminals
- 2 Intermodal Rail facilities
- 2,344,392 TEU’s
- Located on the mainland shore of the San Francisco Bay in Oakland, CA.